Get ready to make this refreshing and balanced Weissen Sour recipe using your Barillio shaker and a few simple ingredients. This beer cocktail recipe is a great way to show off your mixology and hosting skills when entertaining guests during a chill night-in – just don’t shotgun this cocktail as you would with a beer!
Cocktail Ingredients and Kit:
- Orange marmalade
- Lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- Garnish: Lemon wedge
- Barillio bartender kit including shaker, jigger, and strainer
- High ball glasses
What is a Weissen Sour?
A Weissen Sour is a beer cocktail made by combining a wheat beer with lemon juice and a sweet element. The Weissen Sour is commonly garnished with a lemon wedge to enhance the citrusy flavors of the drink. The result is a refreshing, slightly tart drink perfect for summer sipping.
Additionally, this drink is a twist on the Classic Whiskey Sour with two parts spirit, one part sour, and a touch of sweetness.
The name “Weissen Sour” comes from the German word for “white,” which refers to the color of the wheat beer used in the cocktail. The Weissen Sour is different from the Berliner Weisse, a beer from Germany, or the Berliner Weisse mixed drink, which is a light ale beer mixed with raspberry or woodruff syrup.
Tips for Making the Best Weissen Sour Cocktail
- Choose a high-quality wheat beer as the base for your cocktail. Look for options such as Heineken to add a flavorful and refreshing element to your cocktail.
- For a citrusy twist, use freshly squeezed lemon juice in your Weissen Sour and then match this flavor with a lemon wedge for the garnishing. However, if you don’t have enough fresh lemons on hand, an orange wedge garnish can also add a nice touch to complement the orange marmalade in the drink.
- Opt for a high-quality brand of Bourbon made from wheat to complement the wheat beer in your cocktail and create a harmonious flavor profile across every sip.
Mini Guide to Hosting
Food and Drink
Although this beer cocktail is arguably the only drink you would need to have a fantastic night in with your mates, we recommend having a couple of drink options available when hosting, including alcoholic and non-alcoholic cocktails. The Barillio blog is a great resource that offers an extensive selection of easy-to-make drinks that can be created using even basic Barillio mixology sets.
When it comes to food, you can either order in or prepare a menu for your guests. A BBQ is a classic choice for a summer night, so consider grilling some burgers, hot dogs, and chicken. You can also add some side dishes like potato salad, coleslaw, and chips. Or if you’re not into grilling, consider ordering pizza or making finger foods like chicken wings, nachos, and chips with dip.
Just be sure to have plenty of snacks and light bites on hand to keep everyone satisfied until the main course arrives! Depending on your guest list, you may need to plan some don’t vegetarian options available as well.
Games and Activities
Games are a great way to keep everyone entertained throughout the night. Set up a few options so everyone can find something they enjoy. Some popular choices include poker, darts, pool, and video games. If you have limited space, consider setting up a board game or card game tournament.
If a big sports game is on, set up the entertainment system on the TV before the game starts. If there’s no specific game you want to watch, consider setting up a sports-themed movie marathon.
Weissen Sour Cocktail Recipe
- High ball glass
- 1 teaspoon orange marmalade
- 2 oz Bourbon
- 1 oz lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- Garnish: Lemon wedge
- Add marmalade, Bourbon, and lemon juice to the shaker with a scoop of ice and shake for 15-20 seconds or until the outside of your Barillio shaker appears cloudy.
- Strain the cocktail into a highball glass full of ice.
- Top with your favorite beer and garnish with a wedge of lemon.
Other Chill Night-In Cocktail Ideas
If you like to pull out all the stops when hosting, here are a few more easy cocktail ideas from the Barillio blog which you can use to create a menu for your guests:
- Classic Old Fashioned
- Classic Whiskey Sour
- Apple and Gin Cocktail
- Top a Mojito with a generous splash of beer instead of soda water.
Top a Spiced Vanilla Apple Spritzer with beer instead of soda water or ginger beer.
How Much Alcohol is in this Cocktail?
The alcohol content in this drink will vary depending on the alcohol by volume (ABV) of the Bourbon and beer.
Assuming a standard 40% ABV Bourbon, the 2 oz of Bourbon in the recipe contains approximately 0.8 oz of alcohol from the Bourbon. The amount of alcohol from the beer will depend on the ABV of the beer and how much beer you choose to top your cocktail with.
It’s important to drink responsibly and be aware of the alcohol content in your drinks.
What Equipment do I Need to Make a Weissen Sour?
You can find all the essential pieces of equipment in a Barillio cocktail-making set to mix this delicious Weissen Sour cocktail that is sure to impress your guests, including:
- Shaker: A shaker is essential for mixing ingredients together and creating a well-blended cocktail. Depending on your preference, you can use a Boston shaker or a cobbler shaker.
- Jigger: A jigger is a measuring tool to help you measure precise amounts of liquid ingredients.
- Strainer: Remove any pulp or ice from the cocktail before pouring it into a glass using a fine strainer to create a smooth and consistent texture.
- Highball glass: A highball glass is a tall, narrow-ish glass perfect for serving Weissen Sour cocktails. This type of glass allows you to create a refreshing and balanced drink with plenty of ice. And still allow you enough space in the glass to top this cocktail with beer to your liking.
You can create this cocktail perfect for your next night-in with just a few ingredients, including orange marmalade, Bourbon, lemon juice, and beer (plus your trusty Barillio cocktail shaker!). So whether you’re hosting a party and want to shake up a storm or simply want to sip on this embellished beer drink at home while you watch your team play their next match, this Bourbon and beer cocktail will surely be a hit.